Rockville Maryland Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Understanding the unique challenges of a motorcycle accident
There’s no experience quite as invigorating as traveling on the open road on a motorcycle. Unfortunately, the same freedom that makes riding so exhilarating, often comes with a price. Because motorcyclists lack the essential protection available to those in automobiles, a biker is roughly 26 times more likely to be killed in an accident than a driver or passenger in a car. And, in approximately three out of every four accidents involving motorcycles and automobiles, the driver of the car was found to be at fault.
At the law firm of Karp, Wigodsky, Norwind, Kudel & Gold, P.A., our experienced motorcycle Maryland accident attorneys have more than 150 years of combined experience helping injured motorcyclists protect their rights and pursuing compensation from those drivers that injured them. We help motorcycle accident victims in Maryland, Northern Virginia and Washington D.C.
Why are motorcycle accidents so dangerous?
A major and fundamental element underlying all motorcycle accidents is obvious: although helmet use is required by law in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia, riders are left with little else in the way of protection should they be struck by a car or lose control of their motorbike. As a result, even a low-speed collision can cause significant injuries.
In addition, road and driving conditions which tend to have little effect on cars may cause significantly greater problems for riders, such as:
- Ruts, potholes, and possibly even railroad crossings
- Loose pavement or excess gravel
- Oily or icy road surfaces
- Weather conditions, such as precipitation
- Construction zone signage which inadequately warns of conditions such as uneven pavement
Even an innocent puddle can cause problems, either by looking deceptively shallow, or by causing a sudden spray of water to instantly limit a rider’s vision. In fact, many motorcycle accidents caused by other drivers do not involve collisions at all, but driving behavior that causes a biker to lose control. Sudden braking, weaving, or lane-changing by a driver can have deadly consequences for a motorcyclist—without the driver suffering any damages or injuries at all.
What should I look for in an attorney following a motorcycle accident?
Just as motorcyclists are especially prone to accidents caused by the special factors discussed above, pursuing damages on behalf of an injured rider can entail a number of unique legal procedures and considerations, as well.
Some of the specialized knowledge that an experienced Maryland motorcycle accident attorney can offer to bikers includes:
- An in-depth understanding of the special engineering considerations unique to motorcycles, as well as the particular safety concerns of motorcyclists
- Experience in seeking compensation for the full extent of injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents, included complex and debilitating injuries such as brain and spinal trauma, broken bones, bruising, or skin abrasions and scarring caused by road rash
- Motorcyclists are also often the victim of hit and run drivers. A skilled Maryland motorcycle accident attorney is prepared to protect the rights of an injured client left legally vulnerable in the wake of this illegal act
- Effectively negotiate with insurance companies inclined to place blame for the accident on the motorcyclist
- Finally, should an action eventually go to trial, a skilled Maryland motorcycle accident attorney is able to effectively communicate to a jury of non-riders each of these essential and unique aspects of motorcycle operation
It is important to note that Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. only allow you to file suit for a limited time after an accident. The sooner you are able to contact one of our skilled motorcycle accident attorneys, the more time we have to prepare your case.
Motorcycle accident attorneys compassionate to your injuries hold negligent parties accountable
At Karp, Wigodsky, Norwind, Kudel & Gold, P.A., an experienced Maryland motorcycle accident attorney is ready today to talk to you about your accident. The initial consultation is free, and there is no fee unless we win. Contact us today at (800) 229-7026 or online to get started. We have 5 Washtington D.C. area offices to serve you, and if you can’t come to us, we will come to your home or hospital.